Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Sweet Home Alabama? Obama's coming to my home!

I may be going to Alabama in a month. With my mom to visit my brother. That's one good thing about my brother being in the army; for him I'm going to fabulous locales like Oklahoma and Alabama and discovering a side of America I never knew...(or ever needed to, really)...

Honestly, though, I would welcome the experience. I've never been to the South, and I always relish the opportunity to get out of my "blue state, 5th-smartest-city-in-the-country, college campus, very liberal" environment and point of view to see how other Americans are living and thinking the way they do (if at all...some blog comments I've been seeing lately lead me to believe that many 'Mericans don't have a brain to speak of). And meeting other people in the Army and their families is always interesting. I guess it's really happening then: my brother is going to Iraq.

Today is the 5 year anniversary of the war in Iraq. My brother enlisting has really forced me to identify my stance on the whole thing. I support the soldiers and their families, but I would never call this a "just" cause, or attempt to justify the reasons we are over there. I DON'T stand by the current president or administration at all, but that is no reason to take it out on the soldiers. Some of them were driven to the armed forces as their only option because of forces out of their control (lagging economy, little opportunity or education, etc.). Even the ones who do want to "kill, kill, kill;" they didn't make the authorizing decision to be over there in the first place. so until they do something stupid to actually upset me, I've got no beef with them.

In other news I'm going to see Sen. Barack Obama speak the day after tomorrow in Eugene!!!! I'm so excited! An historic moment, whoever turns out to be the Democratic nominee, whoever is elected president. Barack out with your caucus out, baby!

No comments: