Sunday, January 10, 2010

DAN in JaPAN!

Trying to get medically cleared for the Peace Corps without health insurance...impossible? Nearly. Humbling, absolutely. I'm so close I can taste it--thanks to the Nara clinic, which is for Native Americans, but they served me anyways, and mostly for free. I'm still flabbergasted that I got all the fancy tests and vaccines (suck it polio!) for just a $20 copay...being poor and uninsured for the win! But really, they're one bright spot in the black hole that is health care in America. 'Obama! Get on it!' (accompanied by angry old man fist shake)

My old dentist is only doing 5 or 6 of the 10 fillings the other dentist thought I needed, so that's good. Thursday half my face was numb and my new nickname around the office is Harvey Dent, aka Two-Face. It could be worse; at least I'm not the Joker. I'm well on my way. By the end of next week my medical packet should be in the certified mail, and THAT will be my first victory of 2010!

I dropped my online PCC class today. That was a tough decision, because I really do care about my future, but I've got other bills to pay right now (did I mention how much fun the south of France was last year? Did I?). So I'm officially not a college student anymore. Again. I'm still getting used to the '20-something post-college pre-career underemployed station in life I'm currently rocking. Good friends, cool coworkers, and new Portland discoveries (most recently, Habibi, the best baba ganoush ever; Tube, a divey bar with good music and $2 wells) all help. And waffles. Tomorrow we're having waffles for the first time ever in this house, as my mom just bought a waffle maker. Mmmmboy! As Lauren at work pointed out, it's the little things. I got a kick out of a kid who went to Japan named Dan. DAN in JaPAN! Hilarious. I was cracking up. My coworkers think I'm crazy. Guess the nickname fits on many levels...

Another awesome thing worth mentioning is my return to the theater! House manager of a 2-woman musical that's part of the Fertile Grounds festival, woot woot! Check it out: The Only Way out is Through I just saw it tonight and it's totally cute, and a little crazy. It may explain your mother to you. So that'll be my Friday and Saturday nights over the next three weekends.

No comments: