Sunday, August 03, 2008

Triathlon & Steve, my life as of August

O.M.G. I am officially a "triathlete" as today, I completed my first-ever triathlon, something I've been dreaming about for years. It was awesome, chafing and slight sunburn and wanting to die and all! The Sandman Triathlon in Aptos, CA included a .5 mile ocean swim, a 15 mile "moderate" bike ride, and a 4.2 mile run on the beach, a.k.a. sand, a.k.a. hard. I'm more exhausted than maybe I've ever been, but it is good, so good. I finished in about 2 hours and 14 minutes, which is faster than what I was expected (though admittedly, I didn't know what to expect). I was pretty slow, but not the slowest. (I kicked the swim, though: 22 minutes)! I felt like I belonged. And I want to do more! Then we saw dolphins...how cool is that? I'm super proud right now, if you couldn't tell!

A balanced life is a happy life. A balanced life includes work and play, exercise and reading of books, wine (and margaritas!) and good food. At the beach. Surrounded by good friends and family. What more can we ask for?

A good day (last week) in the life of me: went to work (blah), Steve picked me up (my new friend who will be teaching 15 miles away from me in France, what what!), and then we went to El Palomar, downtown Santa Cruz, and promptly downed 2 pitchers of margaritas before catching the matinee showing of Mamma Mia! (accompanied by a gaggle of middle-aged moms), complete with a $5 medium coke which we drank down a bit and then filled with rum I had in my purse (we're such badasses)! We gorged ourselves on snacks from the Jelly Belly store (also snuck-in contraband) while singing our hearts out to ABBA, then went out to coffee afterwards (after discovering that American Apparel is not limited to freaky ads on facebook, but also has actual store locations, buying a cute pair of sunglasses at some other store, and having Steve talk me out of buying a necklace I didn't need), while making all sorts of evil plans about what and who we're going to do while in France together. Then we came home and had delicious crockpot food prepared by my aunt and continued drinking (wine) as we played the piano and sang together.

A perfect day, no?

1 comment:

Stevie said...

I. Freaking. Love. You. Man.
Well done on the tri, it's an addiction, let me tell you :). And I'm excited you'll be in France with lovely people! I can't get a straight answer from anyone about actually getting a tourist visa to Moscow, but it's not supposed to be difficult, so I SHALL do it. This week's project. Continue being a bad-ass, mmkay? Kisses!