Monday, August 11, 2008

Bob Costas: sexist!

Shocking, right? This evening, the first opportunity I've gotten to seriously watch the olympics (goddamnit! I've been too busy living a fabulous life, going out in San Francisco, etc.), Bob Costas literally and seriously offended me when he referred to the 4x100 meter relay in swimming as...the 4x100 meter relay. What's wrong with that? You (and my 14-year-old cousin Reid) might ask. Hey Bob, don't you mean the MEN'S 4x100 meter relay, as opposed to, oh, I don't know, the WOMEN'S 4x100 meter relay?!?!? Effectively, by referring to it as THE event, he implied (or did he infer?) that the other one was the OTHER one. Thanks. Because men are the center of the universe and women fill peripheral not-as-important supporting roles. I'm disappointed.

I have so much to do before I leave for France. Which is a good thing. Otherwise I would spend my time until then being morose about the fact that I'm not there yet. Work. It. Out.

No comments: