Thursday, May 08, 2008

Family

Weird. Bona fide crazy. Fun. Sometimes. Always yours.

Everyone has a family, whether they want them, acknowledge it, even like being around them, or not. The function of family...to be a model of how to go through life. Or exactly what you don't want to be when you grow up.

My cousins currently are teaching me to be present, often, everyday. In the moment. Like I really left everything and everyone in Corvallis there in Corvallis: you can't take it with you. My life now consists of helping, reading, and being. And I like it. I've always been one to be where I am in that moment/month. I'm in California now, with people here, and not with people who aren't here. But no matter where I go, or for how long, my family will always be somewhere, look-up-able if I so desire.

It's weird to think that in a few months I will hopefully be trekking into THE Siberia, all because someone who has some of the same ancestral lineage as me is there. I don't know if I would ever get to Siberia if I didn't currently have a cousin there.

Lately, family has mostly been a topic of conversation. What is everyone doing, currently or in the near future? What is the latest drama? Who said what about whom? Who's engaged/giving birth/etc.? Family are people you talk about, fret about, laugh at, hope for, and in the end, will probably always be no more than a few phone calls away...

No comments: