Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Is this real life?

My life is too boring to blog about. Yes I've been to the Teardrop (stiff drinks!), and gotten my life in order (consolidating my debt from 3 credit cards with high interest rates to 1 loan with a lower interest rate)...wait, I think that last point just made my point that my life is absolutely not noteworthy of late. I go to work, I come home. I sleep, I repeat. Even the book I'm reading is dry (granted, it's about US Foreign Policy...I can't say I didn't know what I was getting myself into).

Getting a library card was the high point of my week. Well, so was watching Glee with Hannah and talking about it with coworker Andrew. And I'm beginning to think I need an upgrade...my 'phone that's just a phone' is just not cutting it...I want to know when the next Max is coming, or orient myself in a way only google maps can do for me, or listen to music whenever and wherever I am. What's going on with me? There's more to life than the latest techy gadgets...isn't there? TV is taking its toll...

The passionate bones in my body are thinking more long term and not so on fire currently. Day-to-day survival (a weekly martini ritual soo counts as 'survival') is my focus. Gleaning knowledge from cool coworkers also keeps me sane. I just got a list of non-fiction books to read, and veganism, the Big Mac Index, Portland hot spots, and Lady Gaga's real name are topics that have all been broached recently. Also in the works: signing up for an online Econ course through PCC...seriously, can I see myself right now?? If my aim is mediocrity I'm definitely on track. 'Mediocrity,' 'settling into a routine and a semi-permanent location' ...necessarily one and the same? I guess having a job that's decent enough to pay the bills and allow you to sleep at night while not being overly stimulating is the reason people get hobbies. Make meaning in your life outside of work. So far mine's drinking. On my list of things to do: take yoga classes or join a gym. We'll see if that dream becomes reality or remains a fantasy...odds are 50/50 at this point.

No comments: