Saturday, August 27, 2011

Camp Sky

Just finished the second and last camp of the summer. It was exhausting and I think a few of us volunteers wanted to kill each other but it was also amazing, fun, and I know the students really enjoyed it. These camps are such a big deal for these kids, and so inspiring. We had a guest speaker who is a woman from Malawi with a Ph.D. in ethics who works for the Catholic Church in Geneva and was recently in the Dominican Republic talking about violence against women. DAMN! Talk about sexy.

Another highlight was field trip day! We went to the Lilongwe Wildlife Centre, a rehab for confiscated exotic pets. We saw a 1-eyed lady lion with rickets in her hind legs. Also bunches of baboons, including dominant males who let it all hang out(!). Then we went to the Parliament building, which was also pretty wild. Well, not really, it wasn't in session. I took my student, Josephy, on an elevator for the first time in his life. He was weirded out and surprised. He's still talking about it and I'm sure he will be for months (or years) to come. Isaac and I are going to start a Malawi Make-A-Wish Foundation. Primary activities: taking kids on elevator rides and feeding them ice cream sundaes. Oh yeah. Think I could raise some capital for that? :)

At camp I taught writing (the writing process! I'm bringing brainstorming webs back in a big way) and an afternoon activity: drama! It was good to get my toes back in the theatre waters, even if they were swampy backwaters. The first day of sign ups I was shocked that I wasn't swarmed: only 8 kids signed up for drama, and then only 7 showed up to the first meeting! Apparently they had all decided to be practical and go to CV writing instead. Pshaw! We had a good time. My kids were so good at acting bad (smoking and drinking and 'doing immorality') and I got to play Amayi Diston (Diston's mom) in our little skit. It was so fun. I love directing. Some of them want to start a drama club at their school. Rock rock on!

This weekend is chilling in Salima and at the lake with Sally, Esther, etc., then heading to MST (mid-service training) on Monday, for HIV/AIDS training and emotional support. Then, a week from tomorrow, MY MOM GETS HERE!! We're going to have so much fun I can't even believe. I'm really anxious right now because I'm just SO EXCITED!

1 comment:

Charlie Thompson said...

Dominican Republic you say?