Sunday, May 16, 2010

Riding High

Whirlwind.

Thursday: GRE. I went into it cursing the day I signed up for it and feeling underprepared. I left pretty stoked that I got higher than the average (on the quantitative part) of the incoming 2009 class of the Georgetown University School of Foreign Service's Master of Science in Foreign Service program. Can you spot the nerd? I didn't do better on the verbal part (I'm the shame of English majors everywhere), but I think I did GOOD ENOUGH! Yaay!

Next up, Peace Corps potluck, where I met fellow invitees, nominees, and RPCVs (returned Peace Corps peeps). One of the gals was leaving for Kenya in 10 days! (So, I guess, in about a week now)! I learned about things I should definitely take (a French-press coffee maker, a headlamp, a shortwave radio, good-smelling candles, rechargeable batteries) and things I shouldn't (thousands of q-tips...I'll be able to get them there). I even saw two people I knew from a past life: Jon and Charlie, both from OSU, both from the residence halls (AKA "dorms" to laypeople). They (and everyone else I met) were so awesome!! I was definitely in good company, and got even more excited for this crazy adventure! The very next morning, I had a facebook message from a Peace Corps volunteer in Niger right now...OMG this is really happening!

That night, buzzing from all the excitement, I met up with some coworkers and friends for some much-needed beverage. Thank you, Kelly's and Shanghai Tunnels, for being EXACTLY what I needed (and friends, for being awesome and fun and supportive)!

Friday: drive to Russia! Yes that's right, my mom and I woke up and drove, first to Hood River where we stopped for a bite and a beer at the Full Sail Brewery, then on to Moscow, Idaho for my lovely little cousin Erin's graduation from college! It was the perfect weekend, full of great family and fun friends ("bienvenidas a la familia!" I would say, explaining our craziness to Erin's unsuspecting friends). I spent most of the drive back in Aunt Beth's Mustang. We had the top down and I got a tan! I also got $20 by spotting the longhorn sheep before she saw them. BooYAH!

It's smooth sailing from here. My job's going down to part-time, my brother's coming home sometime in June, and coordinating a Cali trip is my biggest 'worry' besides acquiring all the things I'll need for Niger. iPod, check, next big purchase: a pair of Chacos!

2 comments:

Jeff Watts said...

Good luck! You are in for the ride of your life! I was a volunteer in Dosso, Niger from 93 to 95 and miss it terribly. A couple of things you must do while there - have a "schawrma" (spelling?) at La Cloche by the marche in Niamey and if you pass through Dosso, stop by the Hotel Djerma and have a beer or two with the propriatice Charlotte, if she is still there. You will have some great highs and terrible lows while you are there but remember that in the end it is all worth it just for the experiences you have! And don't be afraid to try new things and travel around the country as much as you are able, you won't regret it! The only thing you will regret is not doing something and then looking back 15 years later and wishing you had! Again, Good Luck and Du Courage!
Jeff Watts, Peace Corps Niger 93-95

Charlie Thompson said...

Ah the memories. Did your 27 months reset back in March? Your nine months at that point, plus the nine I've been out since then make eighteen effing months!! Hard to believe. Is it everything you thought it would be?