Monday, August 03, 2009

Dear Cos,

As I find myself just across the Channel, ("That's not the ocean, that's 'la Manche'," was the response upon my gushing over the Atlantic when at the beach the other day) from many of the cities Jane Austen writes about, voila a letter to my cousin, Ms. Erin Heinz, in the spirit of that greatest of novelistes:

the 4th of August, year of our Lord 2009

Dear Cos,

I write to inform you that I've been getting on exceptionally well here in Normandy. I was able to procure a post as au pair to a most agreeable child of 20 months (Matyas) for the month of August. I arrived on the 29th of July to find a family and environs most suitable to my tastes. Eleonore, his mother, is employed at the sailing club here in Villers sur mer, (she has promised to take me sailing one day!), which is situated only about a dozen or so kilometers from Deauville. We live in a small lodge on the farm of Eleonore's parents, Jacques and Danielle. The great house is absolutely divine, the grounds and rooms exhibiting exceedingly good taste. I am fortunate to visit there nearly every day, as Matyas and I call there to see his grandparents.

I am told that in his day, Jacques was one of the premier horse trainers in the whole of France, and indeed, there are many horses on the grounds. It is all excitement here, as various gentlemen are always coming and going, either bringing new horses or taking charge of one or another. Just the other day I watched a horse arrive whom Jacques informed me had injured his ankle in a race that day. You can imagine how animated Matyas can become, with the animals about! He is particularly attached to the foals, (of which there are four!), and the cows, or "meus" who live just down the lane. I am often taking him on walks to see if we cannot spy the calf (or "bébé meu") amongst them.

The environs are perfectly pastoral...today I took my exercise in the neighborhood and saw horses, cows, dogs, butterflies, flowers, cottages, fields, gardens, corn, &c. Indeed, my only little pleasures (outside of the wonders that come of being in the company of one so young and new to life) I find in the fauna and flora of the neighborhood. The pastures, orchards, wooded bits, and farmhouses are so charming and lovely, I am ever calm and content, and never cease to wonder at my good fortune in finding myself in my present situation. Please do not take this to mean that my life here is all leisure and ease--nothing could be further from the truth!

My duties with Matyas are trying, but as I apply myself to them with vigor, are rewarding in the end. He is becoming more accustomed to me every day, and I am growing more proficient at performing the necessary daily tasks of having a baby in one's charge, (changing diapers, bathing, feeding, playing, &c.). Indeed, as I am learning how to care for a small child, I find myself in awe of those among my acquaintance whom I know to have begun their own broods. I find it is the most exhausting work I have ever undertaken! While I am firmly decided upon not marrying or having a child of mine own at present, still I think I might not be entirely adverse to the idea, after another decade or two has passed.

Indeed, I find myself so occupied with Matyas that I hardly find time to read or maintain communications! His naps each afternoon fly by much too quickly, and I find I have half as much time for reflexion as I would like. As this is a temporary post, however, and I am busy and well-fed, I find I have no reasonable grounds for complaint.

I expect our mutual relations, Mrs. Robin McFarland and her son Mr. Barbier, soon. Projects are not entirely in place, but they are expected in the neighborhood in mid-August. I am eager to see familiar faces from the old (new) country, and especially my dear aunt, who has always been a treasured confidante to me. I confess that except for little Matyas, who is all energy and keeps me entertained and exhausted all the day, this interim would be passing ever so solemnly and slowly, in such anxious anticipation I am, to see these dearest of connexions!

I do hope everyone in your branch of the family is well, and that you are most excellently satisfied with the diversions you have engaged in for the summer season. I have heard reports that your work has been most daring and quite dangerous...please do take care, for all of our sakes! I don't know what I would do with myself if I lost such a witty and companionable fine friend such as yourself! Please write when you have anything of report to report, and know that I will never be satisfied until the day I can see and touch you for myself, and we can pass a great many half hours engaged in the most amiable and entertaining conversation imaginable.

Until then,

Ever Affectionately,

Your dear cos,

Annette

No comments: