Friday, May 08, 2009

What am I doing(/GOING to do) with my life???

I am not engaged, married, pregnant, or otherwise occupied at this point in time (having just celebrated my half-birthday, therefore on the cusp of officially being 23 AND A HALF!), which I thought was just fine and dandy, but after a few hours of solid Facebook stalking, I realize is quite abnormal (that is IF I suffered myself to compare myself to my peers...as IF!). I'm flabbergasted at the number of babies out there. And I'm STOKED that none of them are my concern...I have many adventures in me YET!

Relatedly, I've just spent the evening fretting...ruminating about what comes next (after the fabulous summer of au pair-ing, temporarily making a few kids my concern, but giving them back to their parents at the end, wherEVER I end up). Current rambling thoughts:
  • crosscountry roadtrip with the brother, Oregon via the Grand Canyon to Alabama (or wherever he'll be posted) come late September/October.Ish.
  • use mom's connections to land some sweet administrative assistant gig in some law office in Portland (earn $, pay off bills)
  • ditto to the above except in San Diego
  • apply for the Peace Corps
  • apply for the JET program (or some other English teaching in Japan for the 2010-11 schoolyear)
  • find some English teaching gig in SOUTH AMERICA (Argentina, Chile, Peru, whatever could hook me up and that I wouldn't have to pay to be a part of)
  • work part-time at a private high school outside of Santa Cruz teaching English next schoolyear (I sent in my resume, the dude responded positively even though I'm pretty sure I'm just short of 'dreadfully' underqualified, and said it would be a few weeks...a few weeks ago...I'm going to send a follow-up-I'm-still-interested-and-commited type of email to see if that's still a possibility)
  • start a hippy-esque commune somewhere, with all the cool artsy friends and cousins who are in similar boats as me
Or some combination of the above. My brain is currently spinning. I was also just indulging in one of my not-so-guilty-pleasures: drooling over international relations grad schools websites...my enduring dream is American University in D.C., but I started looking at Georgetown's website (and who are we kidding? Georgetown IS the #1 int'l relations school in the country), and I'm like: Annette, you SO have what it takes to rock THAT! (Positive self-talk: oh yeah!) I'm currently in a half-stressed, half-jelly state, alone in my apartment on a Friday night (but don't feel bad about that...I spent the last 2 nights in Avignon with friends and I need a break!) and I'm thinking: why do I do this to myself??

No comments: